Building Information Modelling (BIM)
BIM utilises the latest software solutions to allow for greater collaboration between disciplines and trades involved in the construction process in order to produce better buildings that are safer, healthier, environmentally more sustainable and economically more efficient with fewer errors, omissions and less waste.
Shifts the largest effort forward during the project lifecycle. This delivers increased ability to control costs while the costs of design changes are relatively low.
You spend the largest effort during construction documents, construction and change orders. The area where the largest effort is made is also where you have less ability to control costs and the costs of design changes are greater.
BIM Delivers Benefits
- Better outcomes through collaboration
- Enhanced performance through swift and accurate comparison of different design options
- Greater predictability - clients gain a clear idea of design intent, allowing greater input to achieve the desired outcome
- Faster project delivery - time savings can be achieved by agreeing the design concept early, eliminating late stage design changes and avoiding clashes
- Increased safety – risk associated with crowd behaviour and fire, operational safety, and construction can all be minimised
- Fits first time - integrating multidisciplinary design inputs using a single 3D model allows interface issues to be identified and resolved in advance of construction
- Reduced waste through greater efficiency - materials are not over-ordered, programme scheduling enables just-in-time delivery
- Whole life asset management - BIM models contain product information that assists with commissioning, operation and maintenance activities
Continual improvement - the project team can feed back information about the performance of processes, driving improvements on subsequent projects
Monaghans' Commitment to BIM
Monaghans has invested in Building Information Modelling development and training. This includes;
- Software for quantities take off from BIM models.
- Training and development collaboration with a number of clients and designers.
- Direct take off from BIM models for production of cost plans and measured procurement packages.
Part of our collaborative input is in working as an intelligent editor of the model providing the means for the production of specifications, quantities and other asset based information. Monaghans are committed to cost certainty, collaborative design and integrated project delivery for the benefit of our clients.
Focus on Output
Our efforts have been shifted from being process driven to outcome focussed;
- Increased time spent challenging costs and market rates.
- Living cost planning allows real-time updates.
- Automatic quantities provide improved accuracy and faster measurement.
- Improved cost predictability and change control through integrated platform.
- Earlier identification of Value Engineering opportunities and improved risk resolution.